Sunday, February 16, 2014

Three weeks late

So close to three weeks after the entire chinese population celebrated CNY, I celebrated mine today with my extended family.

I fell asleep at some point on the couch due to sheer fatigue. I wasn't even the only one. My cousin who puts in long work days in a bank also dozed off. Her younger brother who had a paper earlier in the day was almost in coma. Such is the life of an average Singaporean.

We fulfilled our obligations of meeting up and did quick cache-ups but other than that, we were walking zombies. Still, I am thankful that we got the chance to meet even though half the time was spent watching what seemed like an awfully slow sport called curling (i'm not kidding) from the Winter olympics. Fun thing to note was that the sport looked like it involved huge men scrubbing the floor with such ferocity we thought they'd be perfect to help cover our household chores since we're literally burnt out from work.

I cannot believe that not too long ago, we were just kids. It was nice meeting up with my grand uncle too who dropped by from Malaysia. He's a real jet-setter that basically travels for leisure with his lovely wife and they are en-route to the US. Before that it was HK, Taiwan and God knows where else...

At some point I also nearly cried because my grandpa was sitting alone. He has had the longest estranged relationships with some of his children and it was really awkward. I sat with him but we had absolutely nothing to talk about. Also, it became increasingly so that he can only remember me and not his other grand children. He can't tell the rest apart because he is so old and his eyesight and hearing is failing him. I was his first grandchild and from the looks of it, the only one etched in his memory.

Ok, now I have to go off and cry again.


No comments: