Saturday, August 09, 2014

People.

Pregnancy has opened my eyes to the good of many but along with it comes, the not-so-good. Most people are well-meaning and kind but along with these come a load, actually a TRUCK load of unsolicited advice.

I just had a friend who asked if she could come over "to give me advice". If that was the case, I really would rather she sent me an email. At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, I am literally drowning in advice. I can't take every single one and can't remember a lot. I don't want to snap and be irritable because I want my social life but everyone seems to suddenly be an expert and while I'm a self-professed complete noob at pregnancy and childbirth, a lot of their advice will not add the slightest measure to my well-being.

I've yet to devise a strategy to fend off advice so I'm just going "yes, thank you" or "no thank you". I'd like to think that in my previous life, I was less tactless and curt but now, I have to do it for sanity.

Friends whom I've not seen in forever suddenly want to meet. This is all fine and dandy and really great but at some point, it suddenly becomes a little little bit claustrophobic. I love meeting people but I honestly find myself dozing off when all they talk about is...morning sickness, childcare, pregnancy and all the things they did/didn't do.

And I know its hard to resist but I cannnot stand people giving my kid nicknames. I haven't even named him officially so please go away.

Now, what do I say when time after time, they don't take the gentlest "stop it"? It escalates.

This situation is completely new but for the most part, I love my friends but have to be so selective even though I have time on my hands on who I spend my time with. Some people drain so much from me like I'm the best audience and they are they are the best advice dispenser it makes me want to be turn into a recluse.


No comments: