Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Evolution in Singapore

All I want to do is shop. At Cos.

When H&M first landed on the shores on a certain sept 16, (Yes I remember momentous dates like these) I waited a few months before the queues abated and bumped into the parents and brother in the snaking queue. Now, there's no queue, a 50% off but time is of the essence here which is the luxury I can't afford.

Whatever necessities, I have resorted to buying online. Right now, I am even contemplating on buying groceries online. I miss the shopping down the aisles and even the queues at the cashiers. The experience beats the convenience hands down. Yes, the clicks are fast and deliveries are getting less tenuous and prompt but....shopping used to be therapeutic, fun and a joint activity. Now, it is relegated to being a relic of an age of long ago, an evolved form to accomodate the hectic lifestyles of the nameless individuals in this fast paced society.

The irony comes from the fact that I work for the retail sector and I need people to be at the stores. Thankfully, my industry is rather insulated as people still prefer to make the trip down, test new offers on their own skin and try before you buy. The experience is not reduced to taking a measuring tape, measuring your own vital stats while zooming in on a visual to make sure that you can save a trip to the post office even if the online store offered "free returns".

I miss the old days and I don't like what singapore is becoming. We were always on the fast track and we saw this day coming from aeons back but now that it is really here, while I am glad I have tasted the sweetness of a life less demanding, I wonder what would become of my children's.

Will they know the joys of watching a movie in a cinema without exhorbitant prices? Will they understand affordability? Will they be satiated with simple pleasures that do not comprise malls and the bags their mum might/might not pass down to them?


No comments: