Monday, January 13, 2014

A letter to my dear colleague

Dear young lady,

You had a major breakdown on Friday because I wasn't in the office to be your shield when others decided to shoot darts. I am sorry. You must realize by now that this is very common no matter where you go and trust me, I've been shot by far more venom than these folks can even conjure. Nothing malicious here. Pure miscommunication. Nothing we can't undo.

You have shown fine promise and you don't know this but I've already put in the request to promote you. You are a young girl full of potential and one of the best I know. I am so blessed to have you on my team and count you as my right hand. I don't know how you feel about it because it feels like the pressure has been turned on to full blast but trust me, we will get through this. Hang on.

Yes, my health does delineate certain parameters which is why I need you stay calm when I'm not around. Functional dyspepsia means I can puke at anyone anytime I get really stressed. Stay firm in the face of a storm. Remember that we are selling skincare and not saving lives. NOBODY will die just because we dropped a marble. You are learning fast and learn all you can. I promise to invest in you no matter how long you choose to stay because I see myself in you. I am passing on what I've been so blessed to receive from my previous mentors. I wasn't as fast a learner as you and I was an outright ditz. Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither is a business empire. Be patient.

Tomorrow, I will go on and as we put out fires, devise a strategy to align business objectives. Then, we will sort out and hire the right people for our team. Once we've got the dynamics sorted out, the rest, like they say is history. Auto-pilot.

So there, I was once impatient. I was once indignant. I was once on the verge of a breakdown because people throw their weight around and fired darts of fury when I was vulnerable.

I cannot tell you this because I am still awaiting approvals. I am pushing for them to be expedited but like all big organizations, they take time. I can't tell you in person so here's the letter you will never get to read.

Blessings and thanks,
The comrade you call ''boss'''.

No comments: