Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reflections from HK

The two escapades away from home were fruitful despite being very physically exhausting. Note to self: do not pack 2 trips within the same week.

HK: was an eye opener in many aspects. It was the first time Isaac came along with me and he thought it was a romantic city. I found it preposterous and threw out the thought with a scoff. HK is often generalized (and misunderstood) for being 'souless' with a self-centred populace. The city was also often crowded and noisy AND the air thick with smog. Hardly fits into anyone's notion of romantic. Except my strange boy.

But what is it that draws me back time after time? I don't think it's solely the cheap buys and savings. Somehow I'm in love with this city and everytime I head home to SG, I feel like my heart behind. There is something about the energy and vibrance of this city pulsating like the heartbeat of the city. There is loneliness in the eyes of commuters desperately shying away from any eye contact in this densely populated city. There are the very rich and the very poor, separated by a huge gulf. I could walk around aimlessly just watching the people. Like many other global cities, hurts and fatigue lie concealed underneath the veneer of the designer togs and shades.

I attempted to speak to an old lady sitting by the street corner in busy Mongkok with my broken cantonese. After our brief conversation, I headed off after passing her a $20 note but couldn't get the image of her out of my mind. How lonely, how sad the destitution. It's just not right. The throngs of people shuffling around in the designer togs and shopping bags while the poor sit below the poverty line in the corner of the dirty streets, in the cold. It's just not right that we are co-existing and turning a blind eye to the voiceless populace. It's just not right.

Perhaps I am too rich in my bank and too poor in my soul. Maybe it's not true giving until it hurts. Jesus gave all that He had. The $20 didn't even make a significant dip to my pocket. I can't help but remember the rich young ruler who was turned away by the Lord himself because he couldn't bring himself to part with his worldly comforts. Squatting there in the corner with the old lady for that brief moment made me almost embarassed. Of myself. Embarassed that I haven't shared lavishly what I've been given so richly. Embarassed of the poverty in my own soul that manifests in whining and self-pity when things don't go my way. Embarassed at my laments that I can't afford certain luxuries.

Change me Lord.

Help me to love, like You do. Help me to abandon my attachment to worldly things and truly ''seek Ye first, Your righteousness'. Help me to all that you want me to be to the lost, the poor, the Jesusless.

No comments: