Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Redemption hill family

It's almost 1 am and the skies are crying.

For some reason, despite the inconvenience it causes, I very much prefer the rain to the scorching heat. Maybe I should even stock up on some rain boots and ponchos so I can go on with my daily activities unhindered. This weather is so much more romantic and it cheers me up so much more than cloudless days under the scorching sun.

My leave is coming to an end soon (if things go as planned) and I'll be starting a new chapter in my life. Excited yet apprehensive all at the same time. But leaving it in God's hands. Somehow, I'm not too worried anymore. This break has helped to clear my head and taught me to take life one step at a time. There will be enough grace for every moment, every trial.

Still feeling a tad seasick for the ferry ride back home from Bintan. I heard it'll take a week to subside. The waters were extremely choppy and we spent the entire hour playing charades. It was hilarious. I've really grown very close to this group. So close I'm a tad afraid that I'll have to leave them, that if anyone of them leaves, it'll break my heart. Every single one is so precious and it truly feels like family. I never thought it'd be possible to find such a strong brother/sisterhood in christ here on earth ever again but I did and I thank God for it.

We learnt alot about each other during the trip and everyone concurred that I'm a spoilt vampire in disguise. I shy away from the sun even though we were at a beautiful beach resort and am constantly wearing shades and piling on the SPF. I was also very 'blur' and excitable. Apparently, my team (which includes another MGS girl) would scream the loudest even though we came in last. It is kinda comical because we honestly didn't realize the other teams had beaten us to the games (charades etc) and we thought we were the first to get the answer!

So barely a day after the retreat, though physically exhausted, we were already planning a steamboat reunion at Si and Tarryn's place this friday. Unbelievable. We cannot seem to get enough of each other and whenever someone disappears for work/study commitments such as duty travel, their absence is so palpable.

God has really restored and placed the solitary in families. Now, we are arriving at the place whereby we share our vulnerable secrets, weal and woe. For eg, we all share Joanne's pain and always semi-jest about how it is our cell-group's goal to raise 200k to free her from her bond from a particular slave-driver employer. We missed Karen because she had to miss this trip for a good friend's wedding. We pain and agonize with Tarryn in her hour of affliction. We celebrate each other's victories and walk hand in hand in the dark valleys.

Something so beautiful is happening here and I'm so glad I'm part of it. So inspite of the fact that I'm so not a sun, sea and sand girl, I'm glad I went for the trip. And even if I do get freckles or whatever from the merciless sun, for once, it'll be worth it.

I do hope however that they'll consider shadier places for our next outing. Like Malacca..At least the food will be better.

Shumei even joked that I'm so spoilt that if we were to head along to Mongolia for our mission trip, I'd probably just fly in from some 1st tier city like Shanghai/beijing for the activities and then fly out the moment it's done. I beg to differ. I think with these people, I have learnt that it is quite ok to forego some comforts and I'm happy to be part of this journey. I want to be part of this. I've learnt so much from them, been so inspired by them, been so touched by their love. Now I just want to give back.

Thank you God for these folks. Bless them so much and may Your bonds of love bind us together always, no matter where we go.

No comments: