Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shrink wrapped unravel programme

It just dawned on me that if I do let myself go and be vulnerable again, I can actually feel beyond the usual menu of dread and expectation of disappointment. I can actually be very very happy even though I'm potentially setting myself up to be disappointed. The million-dollar question is: is it worth it? Looking back on the past few months, I haven't exactly had the best track record when it came to discerning people. I've proved to be a bad judge of character and this only heightened my reservations towards people. I don't mind sharing life experiences for the edification of others (if it helps) but I don't let others into my heart easily. Don't get me wrong, I do care and love but I've insulated my heart with so much material to fortify and 'cynicize' that I know that even if they disappoint me, betray my trust, turn out to be evil monsters in disguise...I won't mourn too much. I might beat myself up for being stupid for a few days (maybe weeks) but I'll be up and going again, heart intact the last I left it-a thousand pieces held together by glue and 'shrink-wrapped'. Pun fully intented. If I peel of the layers of shrink wrap, I'll run the risk of exposing the fragility to a whole gamut of emotions ranging from the very best to the worst of the worst. I'd be able to experience both heaven and hell within the confines of the same space, albeit at different times. I'll actually be alive. I have so many people in my life but so few, hardly any that I'm vulnerable with. There will always be that distance I keep emotionally with people so they don't come too near. My heart is like that Egyptian mummy in the British museum. Wrapped and embalmed for preservation but glassed up so that it remains visible but no one gets to come near enough to touch it. Even though it lies in plain view, it is not quite the same. The visitors stand a good metre away, to prevent contamination and damage. It is so delicate and so prone to damage. It has withstood the test of time and won the fight against utter decomposition. Nonetheless, it is still dead. Somewhat like me.

1 comment:

little ewe lamb of God said...

For some reason, Blogger refuses to let me properly paragraph this post. THIS IS NOT A GOOD DAY.