Thursday, April 14, 2011

hong kong

What is it about this land that mesmerizes me in a way that I can't stop thinking about it? I really doubt it's really about the shopping and food. I have returned from trips with nothing because I didn't have time to shop. Each time I return to HK, I feel like I'm home. When I watch TVB, I almost ache like I'm pining for an absent lover. I don't have that many friends there, enough to fill up the dinner and dim sum slots of a 5 day trip but that's really it. So what really is the allure? The old beggars along the streets of Mongkok, the illegal immigrants caged up literally in inhumane cages in the slums or the haunting images of what I call the 'burnt' buildings housing so many trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty? The dichotamy and contrast of the very rich and the most destitute, co-existing in the same land? The seemingly soulless individuals that seem to live to eat and shop all day long and accumulate copious amounts of wealth that goes into tiny apartments half the size of my four room flat?These haunt me. I try my best to brush up on cantonese, in the event that if God and life does lead us there, I won't be left handicapped and struggling unable to communicate with anyone except the english educated. However, cantonese is by no means similar to mandarin. The script is different, the syntaxes and grammar are entirely different. Some words that appear in the cantonese daily speak do not have a corresponding mandarin word as well. TVB is my best tutor to date but even so, the progress is slow. Especially when I watch period dramas and the imperial speak is by no means close to the colloquail everyday language. I scrutinize the subtitles (that I can barely read) to guess the meanings. My knack of memorizing chunks of lyrics from cantonese songs also do not come in the least bit handy because really, no one speaks in the poetic verses of songs or have no tones in their speech. I really don't see it happening anyway anyhow. But I'm just going to keep learning. My only tutors now are unwilling unresponsive ones-TVB, Crystal Jade and Imperial Treasure waitresses and my learn cantonese 101 cds AND dictionaries. When will I see you again, dear HK? SIA just raised their airfares and I don't know how to endure the gruelling harsh treatment of Jetstar. But for you, I just might, spoilt as I am.

No comments: