Sunday, July 07, 2013

The truth-first hand account of depression

I debated long and hard whether to pen this post. Even though I'm frequently frustrated by the misconceptions and untruths about depression, I never found it in me to correct them except for that one time I sat down with an acquaintance and explained it to her-because she asked. I didn't do it because of the exact same reasons that the untruths are based in. Ironically.

Depression has revisited me a few times in my life and I would like to think of it as "the flu of my soul". Like any other flu, it is mostly a bout that lasts a few months and its symptoms alleviate with medication. I can boost my (mental) immunity by managing stress and grief effectively as life inevitably throws lemons but when it does fall below ideal levels, the flu hits and I need to know how to manage it and not succumb to it.

Just as Christians get the flu, Christians who get depression aren't necessarily having a lapse of faith in their walk with God. This is a complete fallacy. In my moments of illness, God has been even more palpably close and comforting. He alone gives me strength. Together with the support of loved ones, I get through every bout stronger. I cannot guarantee that it will not return. Even flu vaccines only last about a year but I know that I have the means to overcome it and overcome it I will.

It takes a lot of mental strength and clarity to drown out the condemning voices that concern depression. I do not hold it against the ignorant but the usual stigmas like it being a sure indicator of weakness or a barometer of one's relationship with God (for Christians) can be extremely hurtful. It's the surest way to kick someone when one is down.

Depression is fundamentally an illness. It is triggered by stress and grief before it clouds the mind with hopelessness and despair. Then, a chemical imbalance in the brain takes place and medication is necessary to correct that imbalance for it to properly function again. When stabilized, the patient is then able to receive counselling to properly process grief, disappointment etc. It is like any other illness being rehabilitated. Those patients are to receive love, care and support to facilitate and accelerate the healing process.

As an asthmatic, I learn to avoid allergens like dust that will trigger off my asthma. Likewise, I avoid situations that will overwhelm me or take necessary precautions when it comes to depression like disciplining myself to focus on a promise from God for example. When even that mental function is handicapped, I call upon trusted ones and quickly seek medical attention to get me in the right order and not let the nasty bout of depression try to take over my mind.

It is real. But it's not the end. It's treatable. It can recur. Life can still go on well.

So the next time you encounter a depressed individual, love a little more. Give space but show love too.

Oh, and it isn't contagious.

No comments: