Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The farce

In reference to the famous Philipian verse:

Be care for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God

"What does the apostle tell us to do when we are threatened by anxiety? He does not just say: 'Stop worrying, pull yourself together'. The apostle does not say that for the good reason that totell a person in that condition to stop worrying is useless. Incidentally, it is also bad psychology. That is what is called repression"-Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones, Spiritual Depression.

I have been a victim too often in my life to the common enemy of anxiety. This has lead to both well and ill-meaning people that surround me to use this verse as a generic rod to beat me into forcefully stopping my tendency to worry. Never once did it work and more often than not, it breeds a sense of despair and helplessness.

I hate psychology disguised in Christian cloak. Call a spade a spade but don't clothe it under something so glorious and parade it as your own.

The bible is clear about our human depravity and what we really are-nothing. In this, God's grace is made even clearer to me when I see that He has made provision even for this. So to the strong and worry-free, I suspect that you either have nothing to worry about living in your detached cocoon of illusion or that your sanity has already gone over the edge.

I know for sure the taste of this medicine you freely dole out will not be sweet.
Sent via BlackBerry from SingTel!

No comments: