Monday, March 24, 2014

We need to get out.

Sunday nights are the best time to write. I am the most coherent and my mind is usually clear.

Right now, I'm semi dreading tomorrow. I haven't had monday blues in many months now and now, it's three weeks in a row. 

Isaac and I really want to leave singapore. It's weird because many of my friends overseas are really flocking to singapore. I love them to bits and are happy that we are all finally in the same place but the high cost of living and the lack of time because we are all so caught up in the daily grind makes it so hard.

We are already hatching plans and exploring alternatives. Nothing is cast in stone and honestly it would be another good three years or so before anything even remotely takes fruition. I am slightly ashamed to say that I have no strong links to this place I was born in anymore. The feelings of patriotism has diluted over the years as I witness its evolvement into an unfeeling colourful city with so little personality.

Perhaps the DNA of our forefathers are kicking in. Those that prompted them to leave their hometowns in China to seek better pastures. Without those moves of theirs, bold and courageous, we wouldn't be here today. Likewise, things have gotten so difficult and claustrophobic that I sometimes feel like I need to hop onto the next plane and just.get.out.

I marvel at how cheap things are online and how the price disparity is and yet, I run a retail business. Rents are soaring at an unreasonable indigestible rate because of both macro and what I call, greed factors. I can totally understand why only the big survive and how the small ones fall flat without even finishing their first try. It is a merciless city.

Isaac remarked today that both sides of my family are from malaysia while his is of a purer bred singaporean peranakan roots. He thinks it might explain why I'm more tenancious. Our neighbouring country was never known for its chinese-friendly policies and we had to fight tooth and nail for survival. Then, we earn enough money to send our offsprings to faraway lands like australia, UK, US and some, singapore because despite the amount of wealth amassed there over decades, it can disappear in an instant because of policies that are not in favour.

Now, I'm treading really dangerous waters here and I should probably stop.

I have no intention of making this blog famous and have a viewership of more than a handful. 

Bottom line: we need to get out.

No comments: